Friday, February 02, 2007

Great Values, Chile

Following on my Argentinian, Australian and Spanish value selections, here are a few ideas from Chile - once again, my five best wineries for wines below C$20, and generally widely available!

Carmen: The Chardonnay is crisp, not buttery, and a terrific value at close to C$10. I have seen good reviews for their Cabernet reserve as well.

Casillero del Diablo: Part of the Concha y Toro family, the Casillero del Diablo line of wines are spectacular values - I have had the Cabernet (awesome), Carmenere, and Sauvignon Blanc, and all represent great values for the $$$.

Cousino Macul: A winery that always gets great value reviews from the media, I like their Antiguas Reservas Cabernet and Merlot.

Errazuriz: The Errazuriz Max Reserva Cabernet is a great value and widely available, and I have heard good things about the resto of their wines.

Escudo Rojo: A very nice Cabernet made by the Rothschild family. Tastes better than many Californians at twice the price.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!

Actually I can't be sure that I've tasted the Carmen Chard so I will go and try it soon. Good round-up.

Joe said...

FYI on the Carmen - I had it right out of the fridge the other day and it was much more buttery than I remember. As it warmed up, excellent. Don't serve it too cold.