Sunday, February 11, 2007

Simple Pleasures, as Joe's Wine Turns 100

I nearly missed the fact that tonight's comment is my 100th post - hooray for me (or, if you are my wife, curse this hideous event). In honour of this momentous occasion, I debated opening something special, even extraordinary, but in the end I opted for the simple pleasure of an inexpensive bubbly.

The Jacob's Creek Sparkling Rose (NV) was only slightly pink, with a nice nose of buttered toast and a hint of strawberries. On the palate it had soft bubbles with a nice, dry cherry flavour. Uncomplex, but extremely quaffable, I was very impressed by the balance given the very low price. While bubbly afficianados would probably scoff at the 'mousse' and complexity of this wine, I thought it to be a perfect foil for a low-fat Fettucine Alfredo (complimented by some home-made fried Calamari). And at this price, you don't need a special occasion. Score 14/20, Cost C$13.85.

I bought this wine because of the good experience I had with the Jacob's Creek white bubbly. This wine could replace the Codorniu Brut as my favourite cheap bubbles, and encourage more frequent consumption of this celebratory wine.

7 comments:

Marcus said...

Well, at least your wife isn't repulsed enough to swear off wine entirely! Way to go!

Joe said...

Hi Dok. No, I don't think she would ever go that far. Thanks for the encouragement!

Edward said...

Congratulations!
There is no hope and no turning back now!!

Sonadora said...

Congrats on reaching a hundred! It sorta creeps up on you, huh?

Joe said...

Thanks Edward/Sonadora - no turning back. I actually never thought about it until I saw Sonadora mention her 100 post landmark and I went back to look at my Blogger post count. Wow - so much effort - I think I'll crack something REALLY special for 200...

David said...

congrats on the 100! sounds like a good bottle to keep my eyes open for.

Joe said...

Very quaffable, and easy to match. Thanks!