Thursday, February 01, 2007

2000 Ramitello

I have had a number of Di Majo Norante wines, and they are always impressive. Their Don Luigi is also one of my Top 50 Cellar Picks, but that wine is made from the Montepulciano grape.

The 2000 Ramitello is a red wine fashioned from an uncommon blend of the Prugnolo (80%) and Aglianico (20%) grapes. The nose starts with chocolate and liquorice, followed by black cherry, vanilla, and earthy/wild aromas - very complex, very interesting. On the palate this wine coats the tongue with rich dark fruit and velvety tannins, with a rustic edge that leads me to imagine what wine tasted like in ancient times. Surprising depth and complexity for such an inexpensive wine.
This is not a subtle wine, and may not go over well with everyone - I find rustic, earthy wines like this do not always click with tasters. A perfect pairing for a hearty winter roast or osso buco. Score: 16/20, a great value at C$19.

6 comments:

Marcus said...

I can think of a few Bifernos that I would love to open for casual Italian dining -- I think you hit that nail on the head.

Not sure I've ever tried a Prugnolo though. Where'd you get this one?

Joe said...

Please do tell (re: other Bifernos).
I bought this one at the SAQ in Aug. of 2005, but I don't see it on the site anymore. They do have the "Moli' Di Majo Norante biferno 2004", same maker and $12.

Marcus said...

Actually it was the Moli I thought of first -- didn't realize it was the same maker. Maybe it's got Prugnolo in it too. Anyway, I took it out when trying a new BYO Italian restaurant with a large group of friends last year. It was better than I expected it to be.

I guess another one not ftom Molise but similar would be Montepulciano Jorio (Umani Ronchi)? A particularly fine value and great with lasagna. I posted about the last vintage a while ago but there's new stuff out.

Joe said...

According to their web site the Moli is mostly Aglianico. Sounds like a good experiment at that price. The Jorio seems widely available - will give it a try sometime.

Marcus said...

Just tried the new Jorio (2003). Tasted just like the 2002. Big licorice notes, immediately enjoyable right out of the bottle, if a little one-note. I've heard people say that it needs decanting...

Joe said...

Could be - aglianico is a big, tannic beast. I decant virtually every red, in various methodologies - a future post...