Thursday, February 22, 2007

Open That Bottle Night 8

Open That Bottle Night, or OTBN, was started by Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher, the wine columnists for the Wall Street Journal. OTBN is a night "...when many of us, all over the world, finally open that bottle of wine we've been saving forever for a special occasion that never comes."

The night that Dot and John have chosen for OTBN is always the last Saturday of February, so the eighth edition of OTBN will be this Saturday, February 24th. And with OTBN 8 is coming fast, I having been poring over the spreadsheet, checking the figures, and trying to find that perfect something for this special evening.

I have decided that my choice should be a wine that:
  1. Has been in my cellar nearly since inception,
  2. I repeatedly find excuses for not opening it because "it is too special", and
  3. A bottle with some age on it.

So far, the only thing in my cellar that fits this profile is the 1998 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo "Cannubi". I have stood it up, just in case, but my backup plan involves a Piemontese Chardonnay...we'll see how it goes.

For those of you who haven't read it, Dot and John write a terrific wine column. While the WSJ online is protected (subscribers only), links and other reprints can be found on the web.

Thanks to the gals at Grape Juice for reminding me of this important event!

2 comments:

David said...

sounds like a great event! I'm not sure I have a truly "special" bottle for the occasion, but might at least open something over $20!

Joe said...

I don't think special has to be expensive, but I suspect those bottles we dare not open are likely to be pricey. I have a bottle of 1945 Korbel Brut that I dare not open simply because I am sure it has gone bad! Anyway, I decided that the Barolo in my post isn't really special, and it is highly unlikely to go unopened for long, so I am going to open a Chardonnay that really started me on my "Wine Quest"