Friday, February 09, 2007

2004 Margrain Pinot Noir

I have enjoyed a number of good quality New Zealand whites, but precious few of their increasingly famous Pinot Noirs. Thus I was very excited to find our local wine merchant was featuring "New Zealand" wines for their weekly lunchtime tasting (yes, I had to go back to work, but it was for Charity...).

One of those wines was tonight's 2004 Margrain Pinot Noir, which hails from the Martinborough (Wairarapa) region. My friend and I really liked this wine, so I bought two bottles. Nice ruby red in colour, with an attractive 'summer fruit' nose. Scents of cherry, mint, vanilla, and musk, with some earthy undertones, this was a pleasing, but uncomplicated, nose. On the palate this wine was terrific - extremely well balanced, with nice acidity and cherry fruit, good persistency and gentle tannins. More 'old world' than 'new world' in style, it was a very nice example of Pinot Noir, and it paired very nicely with a Pork Tenderloin in a Dijon Sour Cream sauce.
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 16/20
Price: C$29 (SAQ)

PS - After we finished this bottle, it was off to Tasmania for a 2005 Ninth Island Pinot Noir - not as balanced as the Margrain, but a terrific nose and nice crisp acidity - a great value at C$21.

2 comments:

David said...

I too have enjoyed some very good New Zealand pinots of late, Stoneleigh 2003 from Marlborough is one example. Am also enjoying NZ 2006 Sauvignon Blancs!

Joe said...

Hooray, a comment on this rare wine that I quite liked! I will look for the Stoneleigh, but no need to remind me of the Sauvignon Blancs - all over those! Cheers!