Sunday, April 15, 2007

2006 Alamos Viognier

I mentioned Alamos in my Argentinian Values piece, but this was my first taste of their viognier. Pale straw yellow in colour with modest, but pleasing, aromas - lemon, red delicious, melon, and toast. On the palate it was crisp, effervescent, minerally, and very refreshing. Nicely balanced, with a restrained use of oak for a new world white. An excellent pairing with a lightly breaded filet of sole and wild rice. alcohol 13.5%
Score: 14/20
Price: C$16 (SAQ)

This was a much nicer new world example of viognier than the EXP Viognier I tasted recently, and a better value as well.

6 comments:

Seamus said...

Judging by today's post I've finally come to the right place. To where the author realizes that quality fine wines can be selected at honest, reasonable prices. You can win a copy of a new independent book on that subject at: www.seamusobrog.cutterofcheese.com/wine.html

Joe said...

Hi tgdf. 'Reasonable' is a relative term, I suppose, but we all love to find a great value - Cheers!

Marcus said...

Opened a vin de pays d'Oc Vignier from Gourgazaud last night. It was the first French Viognier at the SAQ to disappoint me (I thought that I could not go wrong with this grape).

Guess I should be looking into these New World Viogniers.

Thanks,
Marcus

Joe said...

I have found the Laroche single grape cheapies to be good values - competitive with cheapies from the new world.

David said...

Hi Joe--I was just writing up an article on good wines for summer and looking this one up online and found your post...definitely a good value!

Joe said...

It's nice to know some of my old posts are of use. This should be an easy wine to find - let me know if you like it!