Tuesday, April 03, 2007

2005 Tardieu-Laurent "Les Grands Augustins"

I remember "Les Grands Augustins" as one of my first wine purchases for my first attempt at a "Cellar". Long gone, it has been many years since I had another bottle. I recall paying close to C$20 for the wine, so when I saw the SAQ offering at C$15.95, I had to try it again.

Les Grands Augustins, from the famous Rhone house of Tardieu-Laurent, is their low end Vin de Pays from the Languedoc. The 2005 Tardieu-Laurent "Les Grands Augustins" has an earthy nose, with a strong scent of pepper, smoke and dark cherries. Well balanced, but uncomplex, this is an easy drinking wine that is ready now. An excellent wine for a nice price, this would pair well with BBQ lamb. alcohol 13.5%
Score: 15/20
Price: C$16
Great Value!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the Cincinnati folks...
If you haven't been yet...check out the 17th Annual A Taste of Duveneck - the Cincinnati Art Museum's fundraiser for education programs. It's on Thursday, June 7, 6 p.m. You can sample signature dishes and international wines from Cincinnati's finest restaurants and wine distributors. This year, they've added a cool new outdoor Biergarten with premier beers and lagers. There's more on the website:
www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org.

Joe said...

Always happy to help out a charity. I checked the sight and it is a real event. Best of luck in your fundraising - sorry I won't be there.

David said...

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one, especially with some lamb in the freezer waiting for some grilling weather!

Anonymous said...

Out curiosity, my wife received a 2000 Tardieu-Laurent "Les Becs Fins" as a gift from a co-worker...

Do you know this wine? In typical french fashion it doesn't say what it contains.... I have no idea what to drink it with or when to drink it by... any ideas?

Joe said...

I have had the Becs Fins, but it has been a very long time. It is a Grenache Syrah blend. It is ready now, and I would try it with something grilled from the BBQ (lamb or steak)

Lar Veale said...

The Grands Augustins just made my wine of the week - excellent stuff and great value too.

Joe said...

Hi Lar - I just had a 2006 recently, stunning, and much better than the 2005 or the 2007. I have a couple of 2007s in my cellar now, will break those out soon. Great blog, but the way.