Friday, April 20, 2007

Blog Tag?

Apparently I have been 'tagged' by Sonadora at Wannabe Wino. You can see her site, Wine Outlook or Winehiker for a more detailed discussion of this tagging business.

This is my first tag, and from what I can gather it is an evolved form of the chain letter. Essentially, a fellow blogger has demanded that I answer the question: "Why do I blog?", and then tag five other bloggers.

A good question. I certainly did not set out to blog. Joe's Wine was meant to be a private site for our tasting group - a repository for the notes I would normally email after our 'grand tastings'. To date these 25 tastings have reviewed (in a competitive, blinded, panel-of-judges format) perhaps 200 of the world's best wines, properly aged and in their prime (generally). As this database grew, I decided to make it public (May 2006), and once the site was set up...well, I just kept going.

So, Why do I blog? While these 'tags' seem to take a top five format, I only have four answers to the question:

Wine! This is my hobby, my passion, my only diversion outside of work and my family. I drink wine, I read about wine, I collect wine, and I now have an outlet for discussing wine. I don't care who you are, if you want to talk wine then I want to talk to you!

Posterity! Nearly every day I have a glass of something. Joe's Wine is now a log of almost everything I taste, so when I go to my cellar to grab something I know when I last had that wine and what it tasted like. I can follow the aging, recall the pairings. Very useful.

You Read! I have received great comments from friends and strangers, alike, and I hope that somewhere along the way I have helped you to find a great bottle (or avoid and awful one). My StatCounter tells me that, in the last 24 hours, I have had visitors from all over the U.S. and Canada, as well as the U.K, Ireland, Germany, Japan, Finland, Sweden, Poland, Russia, Greece, Belgium, and the geographic coverage since I started is even broader. That is awesome.

I Learn! I have received excellent wine suggestions, pairing ideas, restaurant and wine shop recommendations, and even recipes. I have found multiple links that keep me up with industry news, and seen great debates about all things vinuous. Thanks to all!

As for fame and fortune - nope. I don't have time for that kind of effort, and I don't believe this hobby could ever replace my day job - I can't write about wine if I can't afford wine!

Thanks for the tag, Sonadora. Cheers!

PS - Consider yourself 'tagged':
Doktor Weingolb
Brooklynguy
Wino Sapien
Erin and Michelle at Grape Juice

9 comments:

Sonadora said...

Thanks for playing Joe! Great to read your answers. I completely agree with using the blog as a tool to keep track of when, where and how you last drank a bottle.

Joe said...

Thanks for dragging me into this - nice to know how people come into this silly hobby. (the blogging, not the wine - that's serious!)

Dr. Debs said...

Wonderful post, Joe! It's fun to see what got some of us started (and why we keep doing it!)

Marcus said...

Uh-oh. You mean I got to host WBW 33 and participate in a meme at the same time?

You know my dad always said that I when I interviewed for the new job I'm now in, it was my blog that sealed the deal for me. So that an interesting point in this discussion though it was never really one of the reasons I started blogging.

In any case, it could work both ways. Lately all my extra attention to blogging could end up making me lose my promotion!

Sorry Joe! Don't hold your breath for my tag post. (Your nice response pretty much covers all of mine points anyway.)

Joe said...

Thanks for the comments, Debs.
Yes Marcus, you get the pass - I am not holding my breath - I don't want you to lose your promotion!

Anonymous said...

I accept! I noticed this happening on Debs', Sonadora's, and some others but assumed it was an "out west" thing. Thanks for the tag Joe, and I'm on it.

Joe said...

West coast thing? I'm glad Sonadora brought it back East, halfway between Bordeaux and Napa...I look forward to it.

farley said...

Joe, good job carrying on the torch. I think we all have overlapping reasons...

Joe said...

Hi Farley - I guess that makes sense, as we have all stuck around - like-minded survivors? Let's see what my tags come up with. Cheers!