Thursday, April 26, 2007

2004 Sandrone Dolcetto D'Alba

Following on my Barbera comments I give you a dose of Dolcetto. Dolcetto is often the poor brother of Piedmont, with Barolo, Barbaresco and even Barbera usually in the spotlight. I always think of Dolcetto as being cheap and uninteresting, but that was not the case tonight.

The 2004 Sandrone Dolcetto D'Alba was a light cherry red, with a robust and complex nose - surprising for a Dolcetto. It started very earthy, showing oak, musk, cloves, vanilla, and leather aromas, with a faint hint of green pepper, nice cherry fruit and spring flowers. Very nice! On the palate this Dolcetto was equally interesting - medium-bodied with firm, dry tannins, good acidity and a very long finish. Ready now, or to be enjoyed over the next few years. A tad rustic, just the way I like my Italian wines! A great match for store bought veal canneloni in a homemade tomato sauce.
13% alcohol
Score: 16.5/20
Price: C$22 (SAQ, Courrier Vinicole)

PS - I had a 2001 Sandrone Barolo Cannubi Boschis last year, and it was stunning.

No comments: