Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Open That Bottle Night 9: 2000 Serpico dei Feudi di San Gregorio

Open That Bottle Night (OTBN) was started by the WSJ's wine couple, Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher, to encourage wine drinkers everywhere to open that bottle we have been sitting on, waiting for the "perfect" moment that never arrives.

OTBN presents a challenge for me, as I tend to open bottles simply BECAUSE "I haven't had one of those in a while" - every night is OTBN at Joe's! Last year I grabbed a pricey chardonnay from Piedmont and I return once again to quirky, expensive, Italian wine for OTBN 9. Searching through my spreadsheet for a wine I was deliberately avoiding I happened upon tonight's 2000 Serpico Dei Feudi di San Gregorio. After all, who buys obscenely expensive aglianico? And what the heck do you serve it with? The first answer, of course, is obvious...

A dense and foreboding ruby red in the glass, explosively aromatic, a meaty, butcher shop nose with prunes dominate, progressively changing and opening to reveal secrets of rose, sour cherry, plum, cedar, liquorice and a hint of thyme. Very dry and full bodied with wave after wave of velvety tannin and sour cherry cascading across the palate. Beautifully integrated fruit and tannins, incredible balance, with an interesting, rustic edge. Please, send donations...
cork. 14% alcohol
Score: 18.5/20
Price: C$80 (SAQ)

...paired very well with rack of lamb marinated in a pistachio pesto, wrapped in pancetta

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the photograph of the wine in the snow, very clever.

Joe said...

Thanks Cathy, I kinda liked that shot myself and hoped it would be noticed. I look forward to hearing about your vineyard in Oregon. Cheers!