Sunday, February 10, 2008

Twelve Under $12: 2006 Umani Ronchi Verdicchio

For fun, and to learn, it's "Twelve under $12" for the next few weeks. Yep, that's right, Joe is going to one up that "big spender" Dr. Debs and hopefully find a good cheapie or two (or at least some decent cooking wine). Since finding Joe in the 12$ wine aisle is about as likely as finding Joe at a yard sale I really have no idea what I am getting into...

So, why $12? Given the taxes on booze in Montreal I figure this equates to ~US$10-ish everywhere else, which presents a good "Vin de Table" price point and will appeal to those starting to move beyond box wine.

I live by the rule that if someone is offering you a choice of 'white' or 'red', pick the white - at least it will be cold and refreshing. So I begin my foray into the unknown with a neat little white, the 2006 Umani Ronchi Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico. Some faint citrus (orange marmalade) and floral notes from a thin, light-bodied white. Tasty, refreshing, with no rough edges, it falls off the palate so quickly you forget that you just gulped a glass. Chill for a great summer patio quaffer. An honest white that begs the question: "why would anyone buy a 20$ pinot grigio?"
cork. 13% alcohol
Score: 13.5/20
Price: C$11.55 (SAQ)

Next up, a cheapo Italian red for WBW. Cheers!

6 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

Hear, hear! This is one of those cases where people pay over odds for crappy PG because they've heard of it, while poor verdicchio can't find a buyer so it's sold for relative pennies. Welcome to the happy hunt for bargain wine, and I'll be keeping my eye on what you turn up.

Joe said...

Hi Debs - I can't believe how long it has been since I had a Verdicchio - what a snob! We'll see how it goes...

RougeAndBlanc said...

Joe, you may have started a new blogging trend here, maybe you can suggest a new periodic virtual tasting for wine between a price range.
Thanks for the recommendation of the Verdicchio variety.
Andrew

Joe said...

Hi Andrew. I would love to come up with a new virtual tasting, but I hate to compete with the rest of the wine world. Maybe. I definitely recommend the verdicchio - simple fun.

Susan said...

I have been drinking Fazi Battaglia Verdicchio for over 20 years and love it! I am looking forward to trying the Umani Ronchi!

Joe said...

Hi Susan - thanks for the tip on the Fazi Battaglia, I will look for it. Cheers!