Wednesday, June 11, 2008

WBW #46 (Part 2): A Rhone White from CDP, 2004 Chateau La Nerthe Blanc

A special thanks to Debs for hosting this month's WBW, and for choosing a great theme – the underappreciated whites made from Rhone Valley grapes (see her post for more detail). Debs promised a special billing for bloggers trying wines from different regions, so this is a follow up to my Canadian Viognier posted earlier today.

The 2004 Chateau la Nerthe (blanc) is a white wine from France's Chateauneuf du Pape appellation – a world famous appellation that is better known for its big red wines made from Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvedre. Tonights white CDP is a blend of Grenache Blanc, Bourboulenc, Roussanne and Clairette, most of which are rarely seen outside of France. Its haunting nose changed constantly over the evening, with notes of creamy custard, quince, lychee, spring flowers, lemon peel, wet stones and some gentle oakiness – an interesting greenness (wet ferns?) as well. Stunning on the palate – opulent, with a nice oily texture, lemony cream flavours and a nice bitter finish – so unusual, I'd almost use "rustic" if the wine wasn't SO elegant and polished. It paired nicely with a pork tenderloin, but all I could think about was buttery lobster…Very, very good.
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 18/20
Price: C$50 (SAQ)

Thank you to the Wine Blogging Wednesday organizers, and Debs for forcing me to try a few wine I would not have tried otherwise - I look forward to the "special billing" in your review ;)

Cheers!

8 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

I am so jealous--I once bought a La Nerthe and kept it for so long it had gone off. Now I know what I missed. Thanks, Joe, and yes, you will be among a select few at the top of the 34+ folks who participated.

Joe said...

Woo hoo! I love to be front of the class... :)

David said...

Sounds great! I've enjoyed a red Chateau La Nerthe before, but went for a bargain this round of WBW.

Edward said...

Teachers pet :)

A great note, it sounds like a lovely wine, which I will now want to try. . .

David McDuff said...

La Nerthe sounds mighty tasty, Joe. It's been too long since I last tried it....

Joe said...

Hi David - had the red before as well, but never the white. Not cheap, but I've never had a white CDP...

Hi Ed - only when it comes to wine! I demand that white CDP finds its way into that tiny little drop...(I would have thought that the Wine Drinker's Dilemma would make the WinoSapien - Thoughts list)

Hi David - there must be a distributor who would gladly serve this for you? Worth a try...

Edward said...

Thanks for the prompt, have rectified the oversight.

Joe said...

Hi Ed - will work (as copy editor) for wine...