Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cheap Bubbles - 2004 Sieur d'Arques "La Bulle de Limoux"

With his "Friday Night Bubbles" series Neil has inspired me to drink more sparkling wine, from Champagne and beyond, and not just on special occasions. I have been especially intrigued by his French bubbly finds outside of Champagne, so I took a flyer on this "Blanquette de Limoux".

The 2004 Sieur d'Arques "La Bulle de Limoux" comes from the Blanquette de Limoux appellation in France and is made from the local grape Mauzac, with some Chenin Blanc and Chardonnay mixed in. A yeasty, lemony croissant with white flowers and a hint of oranges on the nose. Fresh and minerally on the palate with a modest mousse, this well-balanced and easy-drinking bubbly is a great value - serve it blind and guests will think you brought out an inexpensive chamapgne (only you will know you just saved 30 bucks).
cork. 12.5% alcohol
Score: 16/20
Price: C$18.25 (SAQ)

A nice surprise, and a compelling reason not to save the bubby for special occasions.

2 comments:

Edward said...

I wonder if the phrase "A night on the tiles" has any resonance in Canada?

I need to drink more Champagne too. . .

Joe said...

Hi Ed - I had to google it, so the answer is that it previously did not have any resonance for me. More Champagne?! What, the market isn't emptying out your wallet quick enough? Try a mistress...