Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Blaufrankisch and Turkey: 2005 Heinrich

Blaufränkisch, sometimes referred to as Lemberger, Franconia and others, is Austria's second most widely planted red wine grape. I did not taste this grape in my Quest for 100, so tonight's wine further adds to my credentials as a taster of quirky grapes.

This wine was a selection of our good friends, Tara and Peter, who invited us over to celebrate U.S. Thanksgiving a few weeks back - a timely pairing idea for your upcoming turkey feast.

The 2005 Heinrich Blaufränkisch was green and earthy with peppery raspberries, heavy with meaty and leathery notes. A soft, silky texture and nice dusty raspberry fruit on the palate...fresh, but with mild acid and modest tannins. Very intriuguing, and a perfect match for a Thanksgiving turkey dinner.
glass cork. 13% alcohol
Score: 16.5/20
Price: C$22.15 (SAQ)

Peter also served a Beaujolais, the 2005 Collin-Bourisset Moulin-à-Vent des Hospices - very smooth and polished, with raspberry jolly rancher and truffles, some flinty and old leathery notes, but this soft wine of candied fruit just didn't work with the turkey for me.

2 comments:

Edward said...

Blaufrankish and turkey is a great call.
I'm planning on sparkling shiraz. . . I'm sure our esteem coleague Barry would approve!

Merry Christmas.

Joe said...

I had heard others pitch the Blaufrankisch/Turkey pairing, but I have been so stuck in my Pinot Noir/Turkey rut. Still looking for a sparkling shiraz up here - not easy to find. Merry Christmas!