Friday, October 19, 2007

Guest Blogger: Lloyd Does Sicily

Nearly a month ago I finally let my good wine buddy Lloyd help me fill in some content. I value Lloyd's wine views as highly as any, and especially his love of all things Italian. Once again, here is my "roving correspondent" Lloyd, on assignment in Sicily:

One of the only benefits of having a disorganized cellar is finding a hidden gem you forgot you had. Kinda like finding that $20 bill in an old jacket, it’s a great feeling. Such was the case last night when I spotted a 2002 Planeta Burdese that I forgot I owned. Purchased at the suggestion of a local wine advisor who has an eye for the unusual, he suggested I let it sit for a while. He was right on. Made predominantly from cabernet sauvignon and about 30% cab franc, the Burdese is big and mouth-filling, with a wide beam of fine tannins that suggests it will age extremely well. The nose was hot (the ’02 seems to be unusually high alcohol for this wine at 14.5%), but balanced with smoke, oak, cassis and dark cherry. I guessed some Sangiovese – but was wrong. The whole thing comes together nicely, full-bodied, oh-so-slightly astringent but well-integrated with the fruit and tannins, and a satisfying, long finish. It got even better after an hour in the decanter. This is a great match for any red meat or strong cheese, and as good a cabernet as I’ve ever tried from southern Italy. Score: 17.25, Price (SAQ ‘03): $35.

Hey Lloyd - what's up with the quarter points?!

Cheers!

PS - I always find the Planetas nicely made, but a bit hot.

No comments: