Tuesday, December 19, 2006

2005 Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon

I bought this wine based on a favourable write up in the Montreal Gazette, in which the reviewer referred to Decanter calling this the Best Value Cabernet Sauvignon on the Planet. I love corroborating evidence!

The 2005 Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon (made by Chilean giant Concha y Toro) was a deep cherry red hue. The nose was spectacular, starting with a very strong scent of vanilla, later developing chocolate, pepper, cedar, leather/spice, maybe even some tar and floral scents. Powerful, and very interesting. On the palate the wine was bold, medium bodied, well balanced, with a good dose of gentle but firm tannins - very cool. The length was short, so no need to cellar this - it is ready for drinking now. Would pair well with food, but is also nice on its own. According to Decanter, this is "Mass-produced excellence". I agree - Bravo! At this price it should be a staple at weddings and holiday parties. Buy! Buy! Buy!
Score: 17/20
Cost: C$13

PS - here is a write up of the Casillero del Diablo Malbec. Also note that Wine Spectator's Wine of the Week is the 2005 Casillero del Diablo Carmenere (85 points)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review! I've always enjoyed the Casillero del Diablo wine. There's a Pinot Noir somewhere out there, although it's been out of stock in Manitoba for ages.

My only (minor) complaint is that the wine doesn't have a lot of staying power. By day 2 on the counter, the flavours have faded away. Easy solution though, just make sure there aren't any leftovers!

Joe said...

Never seen the Pinot, but I picked up a bottle of the Carmenere in Ontario last week. Good plan - for 2007 I resolve never to leave an open bottle behind.

BroderWriter said...

The carmenere is fine, too, but the cab is the best. If you can make it to a Trader Joe's store (probably none in Canada?), these wines are US $6.99 each, and truly a spectacular bargain. They are my favorite value reds, along with Bogle Old Vine zinfandel.

Joe said...

Hi Tumerica. We do not yet have Trader Joe's in Canada, at least not in Montreal, but I have had "Two Buck Chuck". Sounds like a great deal for that wine, but given the headache of stuffing wine in the luggage I typically only do that for the pricier stuff. I have not had the Bogle Zin, but Zin and I have a difficult relationship...(will pick some up if I see it) Cheers! (great blog, by the way)