Sunday, December 24, 2006

2003 The Ironstone Pressings

After the Cicinis below, we opened this wine (another gift) to simply enjoy by the fire on a wintery evening. The 2003 D'Arenberg "The Ironstone Pressings", an Aussie Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre, is an upscale wine from one of my favourite wineries. Despite its youth, I decided to pour this to enjoy with the bearer of such fine gifts!

A beautiful, deep cherry red, the nose was very interesting, with meaty scents dominating, followed by flowers, blackberries, mint, leather, oak, vanilla, and coffee. Medium bodied with big, dry tannins, it was very peppery, with flavours of blackberry and oak. Good balance, but a bit young, this wine had a VERY long finish and should improve with more bottle time. Could be a nice match for a steak or lamb right off the grill, but give it a few years (2008+?).
Score: 17.5/20
Cost: gift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

d'Arenberg is one of my favourite Aussie wineries, and I've had my eye on this for a long time. Thanks for the review, I'm going to have to pick up a bottle and try it with some grilled lamb sirloin!