Sunday, May 24, 2009

2006 Henry of Pelham Reserve Riesling

Well, you wouldn't know it by the weather, but Spring is rapidly fading into Summer and the white wines are flying out of my cellar. Not true, actually - tonight's wine never made it into the JoeCave...

My simple view of Canadian (Niagara) wine is that Germanic/Alsatian/Burgundian varietals work, Cabernet, Merlot and Syrah do not. It is not a well informed view, as I rarely partake in the hometown hooch, but every additional tasting of Niagara's wares seems to further entrench this view.

With that in mind I was positively predisposed to the 2006 Henry of Pelham Reserve Riesling (Short Hills Bench) that arrived as a gift from our good friends, Peter and Tara. Stoney minerality, bitter lime rinds, and white flowers on the nose, accented by damp hay and some green melon...very nicely done! Simple, fresh, citrussy, minerally, a Riesling to make a Canuck proud.
screw top. 12% alcohol
Score: 16.5/20
Cost: gift

2 comments:

David said...

Sounds like a good summer wine!

Joe said...

Hi David - Funny how Riesling is becoming more of a summer wine for me, I never used to think of it that way...