Thursday, May 22, 2008

Crap, I've Been Tagged...

image source: Tony King

So, just when I thought the meme thing was over I got "tagged". Edward is passing on a meme requesting that a few of us post seven songs that we are "into" (and then tag other people):

The rules (please pass on) are:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.


So, what is Joe listening to these days? As I said about wine, every wine has a perfect time, place and person to share it with. I have the same philosophy for my music - it depends on the situation and my mood. Here's an ecclectic mix to match my recent moods...

Pumped: Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Snow (Hey Oh)" - the Chillis are great companions for running or working out (and this is one of their only songs with lyrics appropriate for my kids...)

Sentimental: U2 "New York" - sends tingles down my spine thinking of when I lived there and how much I want to get back, as often as possible...

Studious: Rossini's "Barber of Seville" - Opera is great wine drinking music, stimulating the grey matter. Once a year the missus get out to the Opera de Montreal - how could I miss the "Rabbit of Seville" this year?

Happy: Ibrahim Ferrer and the Buena Vista Social Club. My great Cuban friend, Cosme, got me into wine and the music of this Cuban legend just makes me want to run to my cellar. What a voice!

Pumped (again): The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" - Same as the Chillis, I'm training these days...

Reflective: The Flaming Lips - Brooklynguy flagged this cool, totally psychedelic band. Yoshimi, get out of my head!

Angry: Nine Inch Nails - why are you so angry, Trent? No matter, your anger is a great companion when I am fuming. (warning, mature subject matter - listeners are advised to make sure the kids are nowhere near the computer)

Those are the tunes most likely to be playing on my iPod these days but, like my wines, it will all be different next week. Classical, opera, jazz, punk, alternative - who knows? Depends on how I'm feeling...

I hate to pass a meme on, but consider yourself tagged: Marcus, Shea, David and Neil (that's for putting that Yoshimi thing into my head) - don't feel any obligation, but I'm morbidly curious to know what you are listening to (you are welcome to simply comment here...)

6 comments:

Edward said...

Joe,

I'm finding the image of my Canadian wino buddy working out a little disturbing!

Thanks for doing the meme, I find them painful as well, but this one at least I thought was quite interesting.

Will have to listen to the Flaming Lips track when I get home. . .

Joe said...

Hi Ed - been called many things, but never disturbing! The music preferences around here ebb and flow, just like the wine. Weingolb and Brooklynguy can vouch for me - definitely not disturbing. Can't say the same for Trent Reznor, however...

Not painful, potentially interesting if it gives a window into the personality. Unfortunately you won't be able to read much into my selections - Opera to Industrial, Madiran to NZ Sauv Blanc - I love them all. Remember, age will have an influence on the music selections - teenager in the 80s, I grew up on British alternative.

Flaming Lips are very tame - kinda lava lamp/hookah kind of stuff, but very cool.

Brooklynguy said...

you're in for a world of hurt, my friend....when thenheck did i tag the flaming lips? by the way, my tiny daughter loves them already. she dances when they come on.

Joe said...

"in for a world of hurt"?! Threats? Yikes, better find a new line of work. Glad to hear your daughter likes good tunes - my kids love belting out our old 80s favourites, and have memorized Snow (Hey Oh). I have no idea how you got me into Flaming Lips - some comment on my site or an email between the two of us? Will look for it, but it was definitely you.

David McDuff said...

I've been listening to an inordinate amount of Radiohead lately, Joe, and not all that much else. However, this might be a good weekend to dig into the archives and answer your call. I'll see what I can come up with....

Joe said...

Hi David - love the Radiohead. I think the spirit was what are you listening to now, not your all-time favourites. No need to carry this one on - I reluctantly participate in the memes - but this was an interesting one. Cheers!