Thursday, May 22, 2008

2006 Marnay-Sorelles Hautes Cotes de Beaune "Les Frontenets"

Hmmm...an innocent comment on a variety of music led to threats and insults...maybe I'll stick to wine.

The 2006 Marnay-Sorelles Hautes Côtes de Beaune "Les Frontenets" led with crisp raspberry, wet fur and animally notes - simple but effective. The palate was light-bodied with bracing acidity and modest fruit - a touch awkward at first, but softened up nicely over the evening. An inexpensive take on classically-styled red Burgundy, and a great pairing for a pork tenderloin in a sweet soy-based marinade (and a great value).
cork. 12% alcohol
Score: 16/20
Price: C$17.60 (SAQ), but a gift from a friend

Stay tuned for more Burgs - Marcus and I dove into `05 Champys last night, and our tasting group is going Grand Cru in a week and a half.

5 comments:

Edward said...

Joe,

Funnily enough I'm sipping some pinot right now. . . I'm looking forward to the notes on the Grand cru tasting.

Joe said...

Yes, I see that. Can't wait for the Grand Cru tasting, as I have tasted precious few...

David said...

mmm, sounds good. I think we'll pair a pinot with grilled salmon tonight.

Barry said...

David,
I guess wine mind's sometimes think alike...
I paired a Spätburgunder with poached salmon last night...perfect match.

As to this Grand Cru tasting..I attack the postman every day..waiting for my invite...maybe I said something to Crazy Joe...surely not that naughty word 'Ali Goat Eh'

Barry

Enjoy your tasting Joe....

Joe said...

Hi David - been on a Pinot and Burgundy binge - have two more notes coming...

Hi Barry - maybe reading about all those Spätburgunders is having an effect on me (love the poached salmon pairing). As for the Grand Cru tasting, would love to have you (your dislike of Ali Goat is of no consequence) - the flight may actually be cheaper than the wine! We'll see how many of my friends balk at the sticker price and opt for premier cru instead...I have a Corton, so a bit a of cop out (I can't afford Richebourgs and Musignys!)