Friday, May 04, 2007

Mile High Club, Take 2

With my return flight featuring the same four wines as my outbound flight below, I was nearly SOL for blog material. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a stewardess steal away and return with a mini-bottle of Cava for the guy in front of me. Jackpot!

After requesting a bottle of Cava in both English and French, I gave up and blurted out Champagne. She nodded, and returned with the CAVA, in this case the Codorniu Brut Clasico NV.

Given the altitude and the stemware I could not assess the mousse, but the nose was very pleasing, delivering scents of lemon, grapefruit, apricot, and almonds, with a heavy leathery/oaky undertone, similar to a Red Rioja! Joyful bubbles of lemony toast tickled my palate and brought a smile to my face after two hellish days of travel (this is not a travel blog, so I'll spare you the details). A very nice, inexpensive bubbly, that begs the question - why save bubbly for a special occasion?

11.5% alcohol
Score: 15.5/20
Cost: C$13.50 (SAQ)

No comments: