Sunday, November 22, 2009

1999 Hacienda Monasterio

How can a bottle so brimming with joy bring me so much sadness?

It was last call for my 1999 Hacienda Monasterio Crianza (Ribera del Duero), a Tempranillo (70%) with a dash of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Notes of earthy, damp forest undergrowth, cherries and coffee grounds, almonds, roses and ferns wave a tearful goodbye, while crisp, spicy, peppery cherries, silky tannins and a fine chalky texture sensually kiss the palate, an interminable goodbye...my last bottle - gone, my love, but never to be forgotten (1, 2, 3, 4) ...
cork. 14% alcohol
Score: 18/20
Price: C$38 (SAQ)

Note: This wine has also earned a mention on my Top 50 list, but sadly the latest vintage sold out at a price DOUBLE what I paid for this. I shoulda kept my mouth shut...

2 comments:

Barry said...

Hi Joe...I remember drinking a bottle of this...1994 vintage I think..in a Tapas bar in Madrid...unforgettable....
spicy oak..yes...and soft and slightly heady..don't seem to have tried any recently...after your notes..I really should...

Joe said...

It's a sorry tale, Barry, of a beautiful wine that has now been "discovered" and costs too much $$$...sigh