Thursday, October 01, 2009

2006 Placet

Over the past two or three years I started to put a few whites aside in my cellar for aging - mostly German whites and a few Chablis, but I have also set aside some oddities as an experiment.

I wouldn't think to age a white Rioja, but a tasting with Marcus gave me the idea to cellar this 2006 Palacios Remondo Placet. A gorgeous nose of creamy golden butter, white flowers, hints of citrus, banana and papaya, citrus peel, some grassy woodsy notes. The beauty continues on the palate, complex, flavourful and tremendously well balanced, with a soft, luscious finish. While this is not yet "old", it is aging well and I have one more bottle for a future redo
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 18/20
Price: C$29.95 (SAQ)

3 comments:

Marcus said...

Nice! Look how much the price has gone up.

Shea said...

The Lopez de Heredia whites are crazy good, and old. The 89 Virua/Malvasia I had was extremely interesting, even if oxydized.

Joe said...

Hi Marcus, disappointing to see the inflation given the strength of the Canadian dollar, and I have been spoiled with nearly all of my wines cheaper now than when I first bought a few years ago.

Hi Shea - you got me - Vintages is selling the 89 Lopez de Heredia white and I couldn't resist ordering a bottle!