Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WBW #54: Pio Cesare, White and Red

I have been ignoring Italy for the past few months (not sure why) and I have not participated in WBW (I know why), but for the fifty-fourth WBW installment my wine buddy David McDuff is hosting and Piedmont is calling - how could I resist (especially when bonus points are served)?

I chose two wines from Pio Cesare, one of Piedmont's most renowned wine houses, for two reasons - consistent success, and it has been two years since I have tasted "A Peeedmont Chardonnayyy".

The 2001 Pio Cesare Barbera d'Alba "Fides" first showed its rubbery/inky/tarry side on the nose, later delivering lovely green pepper, cherry fruit, almonds and earthy, single malt scotch-like notes. Lovely texture - silky tannins and fresh acidity with a nice, spicy almond finish. Scored identically to last year, with similar tarry notes and a spicy mouthfeel, one of the nicest barberas I've ever had.
cork. 14% alcohol
Score: 17.5/20
Price: C$33 (SAQ)

Yes, Piedmont chardonnay just sounds wrong, but I just focus on the liquid in the glass. The 2007 Pio Cesare l'Altro Piedmont Chardonnay had a promising nose - green grass at first, some soap, apple, floral and peach notes as well. Stoney and crisp on the palate, yet soft and oily as it warmed up. No faults here - a delicious, balanced chardonnay, just not "moving" me tonight...
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 16/20
Price: C$23.25 (SAQ)

White and red from Piedmont, same winemaker, I can't wait to use those "McDuff Bonus Points". Cheers, David!

6 comments:

David McDuff said...

Well done, Joe. I may be jumping the gun but, based on a quick survey, I think you're the only participant to score bonus points on this particular challenge. (I'm not giving myself points, especially not based on a 3-year-old winery visit....) We'll find out for sure come summary time.

Joe said...

Very cool - thought that was a pretty easy bonus point hurdle. Just added the picture, thanks for hosting!

Nosso Vinho said...

Hi, your blog was added in my Blog nossvinho.com (a brazilian wine blog in Portuguese based on friends opinion).
At http://nossovinho.com/?p=2170
Could you change links with nossovinho.com ?
Regards

Paulo Queiroz

http://nossovinho.com

Joe said...

Hi Paulo, I have added you to my blogroll - elogios?!

Edward said...

Over achiever!

Joe said...

Hi Ed - words I never hear, thank you!