Friday, July 06, 2007

Wine at Harrod's: 2004 Harrod's Cotes du Rhone Red

Our last evening in Europe found us once again avoiding rain indoors. We couldn't go to London without stopping at Harrod's, and I couldn't visit Harrod's without reviewing the store brand wine! After letting our kids run amok in the Harrod's toy department, it was time to turn them loose in one of Harrod's dining areas.

The Harrod's venue that was open and best suited for our group was Mo's Diner, an eatery inspired by an American 50s-era diner. Staring at the wine list, I realized my red wine choices were Harrod's Claret, Harrod's Bourgogne, and a Harrod's Cotes-du-Rhone. In my experience a bad Rhone wine is infinitely more palatable than a bad Bordeaux or Bourgogne, so with some apprehension I gave the Cotes du Rhone a nod and ordered a steak sandwich. After all, how bad could it be? It has Harrod's on the label...

From the expression on the waiter's face and the confusion in getting my wine order in, I gather the average Mo's Diner customer is not an oenophile. But he ultimately overcame the shock and brought me the right bottle with a hansome Harrod's label. The 2004 Harrod's Cotes-du-Rhone Red is bottled for Harrod's by Domaine de l'Espigouette, with the label describing the wine as a blend of Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvedre. A classic Cotes du Rhone - dark cherry red with appealing scents of plums, pepper and spice, vanilla, and earthy aromas. On the palate it was also a solid wine - good tannins, juicy fruit and slightly nutty with good balance. Overall, a very competent wine. Obviously not available here in the Americas, but I have seen the Espigouette label - perhaps it could be worth a shot.
13.5% alcohol
Score: 16/20

Well, that's the end of my European Vacation. Next stop, Sonoma, Fall 2007. Cheers!

4 comments:

Sheena said...

Very nice. Harrod's food mall is easily #1 on my list of Happy Places. I like the house brut at the Oyster Bar. Usually too crowded on weekends though...

I was there last 1 year & 2 weeks ago:

Shook Fayed's hand...

Joe said...

Shook Fayed's Hand? I hope the paparazzi didn't chase you on their motorbikes for a photo.
Happy Place - a perfect description! Very sorry I missed the oyster bar, but cold icky sea creatures are a tough sell for a three year old...

David said...

I didn't know Harrod's carried a wine label!

Joe said...

Hi David - a bit of a surprise for me as well, but surprisingly competent!