Saturday, September 09, 2006

2000 Ghiaie Della Furba

Capezzana's Ghiaie della Furba is a blend of Cabernet, Merlot and Syrah from Tuscany. A previous vintage of this wine came in third at one of our tastings, but I was so enamoured with this wine I ran out and bought as much of the 2000 as I could find when it was released locally. Tonight was my first opportunity to taste the 2000...

The wine had a beautiful, rustic, Bordeaux-like nose. Smokey up front, followed by sumptious scents of violet and blackberry, and earthy scents of pine, undergrowth, mushrooms, green pepper, and leather. Upon more reflection, the fruitier presence gave it an almost "Californian" nose - very earthy, fruity, very nice. On the palate this wine was "Extremely well balanced, elegant, with a slight Italian edge". Very full bodied with smooth tannins, this was a fine wine. While this wine had copious tannins and high alcohol, neither threw this wine off balance, and the length was deceptively long.

Overall, a fabulous wine that paired very well with food (BBQ steak in this instance). My only disappointment was not with the quality, but just how ready this wine is today - I stocked up on this wine, expecting it to take a few years to be ready. This wine is ready now - I will have to drink fast! Cost C$41. WS 94
Score: 17.5/20

It would be interesting to throw this wine into a Bordeaux vs. California tasting - I wonder where the the tasters would think it came from?

No comments: