Monday, April 20, 2009

Obscure Wine Regions: Empordà

Wine drinkers probably think of a dozen or so wine regions constantly, and are conversant with many dozens more, but there are so many "obscure" little corners of this planet covered with vines, just waiting for me to explore... Of course, "obscure" depends on where you live - I've never seen a wine from Swan Valley but Ed has had a few of those, and Barry would have no trouble finding a wine from Nahe - so you will have to accept that these are "obscure" from an "East Coast of North America" perspective....

Tonight's obscure wine hails from Spain's D.O. Empordà (Costa Brava). This wine region, bordering on the south of France, comprises just 2,000 hectares (a fraction of the approx. 1.2 million hectares under vine in Spain) with ~80% of those plantings being grenache or carignan (garnacha/garnatxa or cariñena). Given that limited production, it is not surprising to see so little wine from this appellation in foreign shops (Quebec's SAQ liquor monopoly stocks just one).

You could easily imagine the south of France in the nose of the 2007 Espelt Saulo (Emporda) - it started with jammy, dark fruit, later adding some funky sausage, cheese, and tobacco. The palate felt hotter than the 13.5% on the label, but it was light and airy, not dense, with a modest finish. A touch awkward...rustic, edgy...but quite enjoyable at this price point.
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 16.5/20
Cost: C$14.85 (SAQ)

6 comments:

Barry said...

Sounds like an 'all-in-one wine'..'''funky sausage, cheese, and tobacco'''...what more could an East Coast of North America wine slurper ask for?
Two courses and a smoke..that's very cheap...
Do they do one with truffles and an havana?

Edward said...

Joe,

You're a brave man, though Spain and Grenache is pretty safe and usually very rewarding.

On an separate issue - I've managed to locate a 1969 bottle of Bordeaux, pity our birth year was such a dud in terms of wine!

Barry said...

hummm..errr..can I butt in here...Burgundy 1969..wonderful wines....

and I remember a Ducru-Beaucaillou 1969 that was very good..mind you..it was 20 years ago...

Joe said...

Barry - if I had my way I would eat only wine.

Ed - it gets weirder....you found a '69 Bordeaux? I wish I could open that with you, but I think you will have your bday before I get to Perth.

Barry, I doubt that D-B is still drinking well, but who knows? I did not know '69 was so good in Burgundy - there must be a few of those around? I will look.

Edward said...

Joe and Barry,

I think I might take the punt, it's certainly cheaper than that sports car Joe suggested a few days ago!

Joe said...

I thought I suggested a bike, not a car, but wine beats all...