Wednesday, April 08, 2009

No Joke: 2007 Dan Akroyd Cabernet Merlot

Expectations play a big part in our enjoyment of wine. Presented with a Canadian red wine, produced by a comedian famous for his roles in such classics as Ghostbusters and Trading Places, well...let's just say the expectations were very low...

It was hard not to be impressed by the 2007 Dan Aykroyd Cabernet Merlot (Niagara), especially considering the price point. Green pepper and smokey blackberries on the nose, a light, crisp (good acidity), and earthy palate...no depth, but definitely not jammy, no rough edges...reminded me of a well-made entry-level Bordeaux. I'm thinking "steak-frites" would pair beautifully. Did I say this was less than $15? I will be buying again.
cork. 13% alcohol
Score: 16/20
Price: C$14.85 (SAQ)

Hats off to a good Kingston boy, putting his name on a nice bottle of wine!

3 comments:

Shea said...

That is amusing. I heard he opened up a winery. If only the labels said 'I aint 'fraid of no ghost'

Norman said...

I've tried the 2006 and 2007 Dan Aykroyd Discovery Series Chardonnay. I thought both vintages were awful. It seems the cab / merlot is better.

Joe said...

Hi Shea, I wonder if he can be found in the tasting room? I will have to make a trip.

Hi Norman, thank you for the warning. I actually picked up the cab-shiraz for another Aykroyd data point, stay tuned. Note that this was not a fruity California cab-merlot, so it may not work for everyone, but I like the crisper/greener French style, and at this price it nailed it perfectly.