Thursday, April 02, 2009

Chinon at the Liverpool House

Chris, one of my wine buddies, practically lives at Montreal's Liverpool House, a bustling bistro/pub/oyster bar on rue Notre-Dame. I see the attraction now - a deliciously eclectic menu, peppered with deviant takes on classic bistro fare, and set in an unpretentious and welcoming pub-styled atmosphere that makes you want to stick around for another drink after dinner...(and we did)

The 2005 Château de Coulaine "Les Picasses" (Chinon) had a tremendous nose of spicy black earth and green pepper, later some blackberry fruit...floral and flinty, some vanilla. A velvety earthy texture, soft and grainy, but perhaps a touch riper, soft and not as crisp as I expect in a Chinon. Very tasty, with some length that hints at cellaring. I think this could be a good transition wine for those who like New World Cab Franc and are looking to try an Old World rendition.
cork. organic. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 17/20

The fun didn't stop with the Chinon, as we switched to the 2005 Georges Descombes Brouilly for after dinner sipping...terrific Bojo, but after my haunting Morgon experience recently I just sip, and enjoy...

7 comments:

Vinogirl said...

My God, I LOVE Cab Franc. Chinons are great. You must try a Napa one, Smith-Wooton, fab.
Also love the name of the bistro...seeing as I am from Liverpool :)

Marcus said...

This is a private import Chinon... How much!?

And how much do you check facebook because I want to suggest an event to you...

Joe said...

Hi Vinogirl - this Chinon walked a fine line between traditional Loire Cab Franc and the new world style - I liked it very much. If you are ever in Montreal, I highly recommend this place.

Hi Marcus - a private import, and I may have a line on it. Remember Ryan (from Bill Z's Valpo tasting)? He's the sommelier! The wine was $80-ish on the menu, so probably a 30-40$ bottle at retail? I responded to you on Facebook, sorry for the delay...

Vinogirl said...

Thanks for the tip...have only ever been to BC.

Marcus said...

Yes Ryan - I last saw him pictured behind the counter in the New York Times writeup and have been meaning to go ever since. I have to get down there.

Thanks for the info on this wine - that's a pricepoint that I've only seen with Joguet Chinons.

Joe said...

Hi Marcus - I will let you know how much those cost when Ryan gets back to me. Cheers!

Joe said...

and you should go to Liverpool House - highly recommended.