Tuesday, April 15, 2008

2003 Moulin Lagrezette (round 2)

It is always fun to re-taste a wine after a period of time to see how cellar age and fading memory combine for a new experience. Nearly 14 months ago I tasted the 2003 Moulin Lagrezette, and it appears time has been good to this rather inexpensive wine from Cahors (the second wine of Chateau Lagrezette). Rather simple and austere at first, this brooding wine took a little time to open up - leading with meaty and cheesy aromas, later revealing smoke, mint, dark berry fruit and some "green" notes I missed last year. Crisp, spicy, with dry tannins and a good bitter persistency, more complex this time around. Definitely not a $16 Argentinean Malbec. A pleasant surprise - who'd a thunk a cheapo Cahors would benefit from a bit of time in the JoeCave? I recommend a short decant (~30 min.) for this.
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 15.5/20
Price: C$16.60 (SAQ)

For more details on the Cahors appellation visit my piece on the Wines of Southwest France.

2 comments:

David said...

I like doing that kind of experiment too. I'd come across a reasonably priced but pretty good '05 Burgundy (Moillard Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits) and grabbed several, taking out a bottle every couple months. Been getting better each time, now there's just 1 left.

Joe said...

Hi David - I have to confess that my cellar is "a mile wide and an inch deep", so to speak - I rarely buy more than two or three of anything as I have been very focused on learning about everything. The negative is that I haven't had too may opportunities to follow a wine over a couple of years...will work on "pruning" the cellar this year. No Moillard available here right now, but will keep an eye out for it. Cheers!