Wednesday, April 02, 2008

WBW #44: 2004 Bernard Baudry Chinon

I doubt this will be an original, such a well-known, well-regarded producer (I see Dr. Vino just wrote on Baudry, Brooklyn one year ago), but it was my first experience with Baudry...

On the nose the 2004 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon was all mushrooms and black earth (and an old baseball mitt?), or a cooked green pepper stuffed with mushrooms and cheese and seasoned with nutmeg - more attractive than it sounds, and very nice for sniffing. Thin, and awkward at first, it opened up to reveal copious acidity, spicy cherry fruit and an appealing silky texture. This was classic Loire Cab Franc. Better when cooler (approx. 16-18 Celsius), it paired nicely with shredded pork tenderloin and noodles in a mild, sweet, soy-based sauce.
cork. 12% alcohol. decanted ~30 min.
Score: 16/20
Price: $21 (SAQ)

For those looking to try Loire reds this Baudry was prototypical, but for a few dollars less you can have the Chateau de Fesles - I like both (at cellar temp), but stylistically different.

A special thanks to Gary Vanyerchuk of Wine Library TV, and the gang at Wine Blogging Wednesday.

6 comments:

RougeAndBlanc said...

Joe,
I tasted the Baudry (if it is the regular bottling) @ a retail tasting. This wine takes about an hour in the bottle to open up. The 'sweaty old baseball mitt' description is just head-on.

Joe said...

Hi Andrew - it was the regular bottling, and while I said 30min decant I actually tasted and finished my notes more than an hour after - totally agree, it was really neat at one hour.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe -

Great producer! Keep an eye out for his 05s at the SAQ!

Joe said...

Thanks Tyler. Will do - SAQ is still listing the 2004s.

David McDuff said...

I'll second Tyler's recommendation, Joe. Just drank the 2005 last night (I wasn't ready to leave Chinon just yet...). Excellent concentration, fruit and acidity. Even the regular bottling will be a candidate for cellaring.

Joe said...

Thanks David. I don't know why we have mostly 04 Chinons right now - the '05s must be coming very soon - Montreal typically has a great selection of French reds...