Friday, January 05, 2007

2003 Esporao Reserva


Hmm - my first Portugese wine of 2007. Actually, my first Portugese wine since last August, and that was my first in a looong time. Perhaps I have a hard time going beyond Portugese port, or maybe it is the weak selection at the SAQ and limited reviews? Anyway, I hate buying wine blind, so it was good that this wine was a gift.

The 2003 Esporao Reserva starts off spicy, with scents of cloves and pepper, complemented by blackberries and musky scents. Nice, but simple. On the palate, the wine was very acidic and unbalanced right out of the cellar, but regained its footing as it warmed up to 'chambre'. A medium-bodied red, the wine had 'good' balance, with a soft texture hiding ample tannins. It is unfortunate that I opened this wine now, as it is young and I think it will get bettter. The Esporao would pair very well with a variety of dishes, and went nicely with a homemade pizza this evening. Score: 15.5/20, cost: gift.

No comments: