Wednesday, July 08, 2009

2007 Domaine de L'Olivette Bandol

Ok, so I've had Bandol before - those big, inky Mourvedres from the south of France - but a WHITE Bandol? This I had to try.

With pork chops I would usually go for something Alsatian or Germanic, but the cellar was a bit thin today so I gave it a shot.

The 2007 Domaine de L'Olivette Bandol offered a nose of soapy white flowers, limey apricot...almost cognac-like on the nose. A soft, luscious palate, and the lack of acidity is compensated in part by a nice, firm minerality holding it together. I would have guessed Viognier, but in this appellation the whites are made from Clairette, Bourboulenc and Ugni blanc. Worth a try, but at 25$ I would suggest a white Languedoc or Cotes du Rhone.
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 16/20
Price: C$25 (SAQ)

Worked well with the BBQ pork chops...

No comments: