Thursday, July 02, 2009

1990 Montus Cuvee Prestige (Magnum)

About two years ago the SAQ received a special order of older vintage, large format bottles from Montus and Bouscasse. Old Madiran from M. Alain Brumont? Surely there would be a lineup for such a treasure! I dutifully made my way to the store well before opening time, but I soon realized that I was the only person there with similar intentions...surely there are Madiran fans out there, somewhere?

After this stunning 1990 Chateau Montus Cuvee Prestige (Madiran) Magnum, I don't care if nobody digs this stuff the way I do - more for me at better prices. New leather, oak embers, black earth, roses and crisp, spicy cherries - my guests were content simply basking in this bouquet. A deep sea of velvety tannins on the palate, omnipresent but well integrated, the most incredible interplay of ample tannins and fresh acidity I have ever tasted. Add to this earthy dark berries, impressive minerality and substantial length - my in-laws were VERY impressed.
cork. 12.5% alcohol
Score: 18/20
Price: ~C$217 (SAQ)

6 comments:

Karl Laczko said...

That Madiran sounded delicious! I haven't tried M. Brumont's reds, but I can heartily recommend his white - I had the Château Montus 2003 Pacherenc du Vic-Bilh Sec earlier this year and it was a rich, complex white made from the Petit Courbu grape.

On second thoughts maybe we should both keep quiet about how good Château Montus is, otherwise we may not be able to buy any more in the future!

David McDuff said...

Surely there would be a lineup for such a treasure!

I didn't know you were such a comedian, Joe ;)

Madiran with bottle age can definitely be a revelation. Sounds like the Montus didn't disappoint, though I'm a bit surprised at the rather stiff tariff.

Iron Chef said...

Here in NB we have a number of Brumonts like the Bouscasse Vieilles Vignes 2000, Montus 2002 and the Montus Cuvee Prestige 2000. I have enjoyed the Vieilles and the regular Montus and always hoped for a reason the spurge on the Prestige, thanks your review has pushed me over the edge.

Brooklynguy said...

Joe - Did you bring a little folding chair, warm gloves, and a thermos of coffee?

Where I live, we line up in order to get access to decent schools for our kids. I'd rather get on line for wine.

Joe said...

Hi Karl - I have also had his Pacherenc and loved it - please don't say a word about the Montus! You should try those reds...

David - I hate to say it, I really did think there would be others lining up for a top, 18 year old Madiran. The price was actually higher, I just corrected the post. Yes, that is more than double the release price for a Cuvee Prestige, but I was willing to pay a premium for a cellar release with such age on it. I can't say i was disappointed...

Hi Chef, the 2000 VV is spectacular, always a lot of fun to serve on unsuspecting guests. I have had some mixed views of the Prestige - it is a wine that doesn't show well young - but if you are patient than I recommend a bottle for the cellar.

Hi Neil, our Soviet-style liquor monopoly is funny sometimes. Frequently they use their buying power and we get some wines on new release at half price vs. New York, but you have to line up (suspicious-looking Yanks drive up from Vermont to flip across the border - no joke!). We can buy on line, but the specialty stuff (older vintages, small producers) usually means a trip to the store. There are pluses and minuses...

David said...

I haven't had the chance to become acquainted, but would like to based on your description!