Friday, November 07, 2008

2002 D'Arenberg Dead Arm

I couldn't help thinking about my comments on palate drift as I wrote up my notes on this d'Arenberg Shiraz. After all, d'Arenberg's wines were amongst my first loves and have been consistently recommended here - but with a sizable collection of d'Arenbergs in my cellar have I "drifted" from first love?

The 2002 d'Arenberg "The Dead Arm" Shiraz shows a terrific, complex nose of violets, vanilla and truffles, black cherries and currants, oak, flint, and some smoked sausage. Still quite tannic, with peppery, juicy fruit on the palate - incredibly balanced, not overboard on the fruit. I have not drifted too far from this wine, the five other bottles simply need to rest in the cellar for a few more years...
cork. 14.5% alcohol
Score: 17.5/20
Price: C$50 (LCBO)

9 comments:

David said...

Sounds good. I just picked up an '02 Barossa Valley Shiraz I'd sampled at a tasting, concluding that it will need some time in the cellar before it gets opened.

Edward said...

Good to hear this is still appealing and that your remaining true!

Joe said...

Hi David - Elderton is probably my favourite Barossa winery, but I love what d'Arenberg has done in McLaren Vale - the wines are generally quite different from Barossa shiraz.

Ed, I have far to open a mind to say that there is one and only way to make wine - like my odd taste in music, it all depends on the mood.

2GrandCru said...

Interesting note as I worry my palate has also drifted away from d'Arenberg. I liked the 2004 Dead Arm Shiraz when I tasted it earlier this year and that fact coupled with your note gives me hope.

Joe said...

Hi Chaim - I get a sense our palates are in a similar situation, still comfortable in the New World and the Old (but moving steadily towards the old?). I still like d'Arenberg, but not all of their offerings - I think the Coppermine Road is still my favourite to date, but with age this Dead Arm is growing on me...

David McDuff said...

You'll have to come to Philly to help me drink the '97 that's collecting dust (along with an Ironstone Pressings from the same year) in my cellar.

Joe said...

McD - I could be up for that - I am very curious how those Dead Arms age. Only had the Ironstone Pressings once or twice, pretty good from what I recall but not memorable.

KateKirk said...

just had a bottle of the 2002 dead arm and enjoyed it but like you said...the other bottles will continue to sit and improve.

Joe said...

Hi Kate - Aussie Shiraz is a funny one for me - sometimes they leave me flat, another night the exact same wine blows me away. Tonight I liked this, but I think I will really like this with a few more years of cellar time. Glad to hear you had the same thoughts...what is it they say about great minds? :)