Friday, November 14, 2008

1999 Elderton CSM

It is a great feeling when you grab something from the cellar that has been sitting for a few years - the perfect day has arrived! Purchased in 2004, this lonely bottle of 1999 Elderton CSM (Cabernet, Shiraz, Merlot) was opened to celebrate...well, nothing actually, I just wanted to impress my in-laws. Big, black pepper and blueberry aromas, tarry flinty notes, a late greenness, cedar and a hint of violet. Crisp acid danced on the tongue and silky, woodsy tannins coat the palate and remain for minutes. Flavourful, reserved, and a judicious use of oak for a Barossa - a tragedy I didn't buy more of this.
cork. 14% alcohol
Score: 17.5/20
Price: C$39.95 (LCBO)

PS - Elderton has changed the name of this offering to "Ode to Lorraine" in 2002.

8 comments:

Shea said...

Elderton is great as is Ode to Lorraine. I am hoping we will see the 2005 in this market soon.

Joe said...

Hi Shea - for some strange reason we have the 2002 Ode to Lorraine in stores, $39.50. Does that mean I have to wait three years for the SAQ to release the '05? Hmmm. Have not tried this since they changed the name.

Shea said...

Maybe the 2002 is a remnant of the Aussie wine glut? Shipped out to foreign markets. I'd be curious to see what you think of the newer bottlings.

Joe said...

No idea, Shea (maybe Ed would know?). Would love to get my hands on one of those younger ones.

Edward said...

Sounds like homework! I've not bought any Elderton since 1998 so maybe it's time. . .

Joe said...

Hi Ed - thanks for scanning the comments to find the projects we have volunteered you for! Funny you don't buy the Elderton - any bad experiences? Funny how certain makers "click" with you (i.e Elderton for me), some don't (Killikanoon for me)...

Edward said...

Joe,

I think the wine bug had just bitten and on the recommendation of someone (whose palate I now realise is different from mine) I bought 2 cases of wine (Shiraz and cabernet). They were very enjoyable, but over the years I found them hard going (more a case of familiarity). . . In fairness I should try to pick up a single bottle of something and try again.

Joe said...

Ed - sometimes being a "fan" of a wine I still get tired of it. And I have found that I like older Elderton vintages - don't know if it is a change in the house style or simply age that makes them more appealing. Besides, the "variety" in my cellar (I never buy a case of anything) means it is hard to get tired of something - just disappointed that I don't have more - the price I pay for diversity. (Interesting comment on the palate of someone who introduced you to wine - I have some friends who fall into that category, where I have 'drifted' from their styles) Cheers!