Monday, November 26, 2007

Super Super Tuscans


I would like to say that I chose these wines to pair with an oven roasted chicken, but I actually chose the wines days ago, and once I had the wine picked out no meal would stand in my way - I was going Tuscan tonight!

The 2000 Ghiaie Della Furba by Capezzana could almost have been in our oddities night, a Tuscan wine made from Cab, Merlot and Shiraz. A deep, dense cherry red in the glass, it was not showing its age visually. On the nose the first aromas of prunes and cooked fruit gave way to a wild and spicy number, with a complex nose of violet, blackcurrant, cedar, leather, pepper, liquorice, coffee, flint and a meaty/gamey smell. Very dry, with a rich, soft mouthfeel, the juicy fruit was followed by a powerful tannic attack. This big brutish wine had tremendous length, but is a little off balance and needs more time to straighten out. To quote the local celebrity, Bill Z, this wine has "torque". Seems like a good match for a steak frites.
cork. 14% alcohol
Score: 17.5/20
Price: C$41 (SAQ)

If the Ghiaie above was a Rambo-esque brute, then the Sangiovese-based 1999 La Gioia by Riecine was the Sean Connerery of the two. Ruby red in the glass with some bricking at the edge. The nose was aromatic and polished, with floral (peonies), tobacco, and an Amaretto-like nose in the lead, followed by black cherry, wet forest, animal fur and liquorice - it smelled like a young Sangiovese. Sooo smooth and elegant, this medium-bodied red was very dry with crisp berry fruit. A very long finish, it has ample tannins and acidity to go the distance - put this away for a few more years. It was nice with the roast chicken, or would pair very well with grilled meats.
cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 18/20
Price: C$67 (SAQ)

Overall, the elegance of the Gioia made it the crowd favourite. These wines were not tasted blind.

2 comments:

Temporal said...

I had a bottle of 2001 Ghiaie Della Furba on Sunday with a fillet steak with a sauce made of pate, Marsala and Brandy. I found it to be a good match, yes this is a big big wine.

Joe said...

Originally I was going to open the 2000 and the 2001, but then I decided I needed to try that Gioia sometime. Sounds like a perfect match - I can't wait to open my '01s. Cheers!