Sunday, June 10, 2007

2005 Zenato Lugana San Benedetto

Well, I didn't know the grape and I didn't know the region, but I did know that Zenato makes great wine, and that was enough for this wine to find its way into my cellar.

The 2005 Zenato Lugana DOC San Benedetto is a white fashioned from the Trebbiano di Lugana grape (100%). Trebbiano di Lugana is the same grape as the French 'Ugni Blanc', which is most notable for its use in brandy/cognac, and not well known for producing compelling dry white wines. That was not the case this evening. Golden yellow in the glass, it displayed pleasing scents of lemon peel, green grass, pineapple, brioche, almonds and a hint of flowers. On the palate it was all lemons and pineapple fruit, with nice acidity and good balance. Overall, a great wine at a great price. I can't recall what I paired this with, but it should go nicely with simply prepared fish (maybe even sushi?) or poultry in a citrus marinade.
13% alcohol
Score: 16/20
Price: C$15 (SAQ)