Monday, June 18, 2007

2005 Boschendal "The Pavillion"

My good friend JP recommended this inexpensive red wine. Never one to ignore my friends, I rushed out to grab the last few bottles of this S. African wine, a rarity here in Montreal. There was even a "10% off everything in the store" sale when I arrived - good fortune is shining upon me!

The 2005 Boschendal "The Pavillion", a blend of 55% Shiraz and 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, hails from the Coastal Region of South Africa. Cherry red in colour, it leapt forth from the glass with wild, meaty aromas (hello, any Pinotage in there?). Tobacco, pepper, roses and a hint of mint rounded out the very pleasing nose. On the palate this medium-bodied red was well-endowed with blackberry and leather, balanced, with a decent finish. May keep a few more years, but excellent now, and a perfect pairing for burgers off the grill. An absolute steal, thanks JP.
14% alcohol
Score: 17/20
Price: C$15 (SAQ)

No comments: