Tuesday, October 17, 2006

2003 Napanook, Goin' to Napa

I'm leaving for Napa tomorrow!!!

So, to get in the mood, I thought I'd break open a Napa wine. Tonight's choice was Christian Moueix's 2003 Napanook. This wine is mainly Cabernet Sauvignon, with some Cab Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec thrown in.

What a great way to get in shape for the big event! I was worried that this wine would be too young. It was not, and it did not throw a lot of sediment. While I did decant it, it probably would have been fine right out of the bottle.

On the nose it was subtle, with nice earthy, citrus and strawberry aromas. On the palate it was a veeery well balanced, medium to full bodied, with a nice glycerin texture and ok lenghth. What a delicious take on California Cab - more restrained than a California Cab, but more approachable than a Bordeaux. Excellent with a beef dish - very delicious, and very drinkable now. A definite crowd pleaser.
Score 17/20
Cost C$37 (SAQ)

No comments: