Thursday, September 24, 2009

2003 Quinta dos Roques Touriga Nacional

I just lost my camera - stolen, more accurately - and to add insult to injury I lost a number of bottle shots as well. At least my trusty blackberry was there to save a few for posterity...

The unimpressive image of the 2003 Quinta dos Roques Touriga Nacional above is at odds with the beauty inside this bottle. A bouquet of sour cherries, old oak/damp wood, some vanilla, currant, and subtle floral notes - later some attractive greenness, white pepper and subtle notes of allspice...aromatic and truly gorgeous. Crisp, flavourful, fruit and flowers deliver an impressively long, silky, finish without being overly tannic. Incredibly well balanced, and a catalyst for a few more purchases from this winery.
Cork. 13.5% alcohol
Score: 18/20
Price: C$30.25 (SAQ)

(PS - new camera purchased, but a few more posts before it appears...)

3 comments:

Shea said...

I think the 03 dry Douro reds are outstanding. If I find this I will give it a try.

Barry said...

Hi Joe...I can buy this at
Euros 19,--
and there is also the Reserva Especial 2003 at Euros 22,--

About time I tried some Dao again....

Marcus said...

I found 03s a great value in Portugal, especially in the Dao, and the Reserva from Quinta dos Roques is some mighty nice Dao. Haven't tried this one for a few dollars cheaper.

Sorry about your camera!