Friday, March 20, 2009

More Celebratory Wine: 1999 Pian Delle Vigne

My good friend Cosme decided stop by the day after my birthday to celebrate, and for this occasion I reached into the cellar for Brunello - I don't know why, but it felt like the right thing to do tonight.

The 1999 Pian delle Vigne (Brunello di Montalcino) was quite successful in our monster Brunello tasting nearly three years ago. Tomatoes and grainy black earth start the nose, aromas of nutmeg and cloves, roses, almonds, wet coffee grounds, and bing cherry (less leather and tobacco than I expected...). Long, velvety tannins, pruney fruit, tongue-twisting acid and a minerality that was not far off from the Mercurey below. Lengthy and well-balanced, but not a brawny "in your face" Super Tuscan.
cork. 14% alcohol
Score: 18/20

Sorry to disappoint you Barry, but I simply enjoyed this half-bottle of 2005 Chateau de Chamirey Mercurey with few notes. Personally, I love how Mercureys tend to be stern and foreboding, and this was a a classic - surprisingly tart and minerally, it was a bit unfriendly at first and took some time to open up (as Mercureys seem wont to do...) ... but drinking very well later.

1 comment:

Trecini said...

With all the wines out on the market, none have been as food friendly and enjoyable as the Trecini wines. I got hooked by their 2006 Syrah. Since then I have tried all their wines but now I'm in love with their Rockpile Zinfandel. Smooth and full of flavors. In the blind tasting parties I bring it to, it's always wins as the favorite. I can hardly wait to see what they do with their Pinot in October

==========

I just got back from a blind tasting party and discovered the wines from Trecini. They are wonderful. If you haven't heard about them, you are missing out. They are a small winery in northern California and their wine is really good.

==========

I just had the Rockpile Zin from Trecini and it was outstanding! Not high in alcohol like so many of the other wineries that use the Rockpile grapes. This was perfectly delicious.

==========

Finally a merlot that tastes like a great merlot should taste. I just discovered Trecini Merlot and it was the best Merlot I've ever tasted. They definetly know how to make great wine.