Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Lost Files: 2000 Avignonesi Desiderio

The "Lost Files" are those pictures of wine bottles on my hard drive that have no associated tasting note. But in this case my notes were unearthed while cleaning out my bedside table drawer - such a beautiful wine that I couldn't resist posting this, spring bottle shot (opened on Mother's Day last May) and all.

My notes on the 2000 Avignonesi Desiderio (85% Merlot, rest Cabernet Sauvignon) describe a complex nose of dark cherry and peppery plums, minty espresso beans, cherry blossom, black earth, liquorice and tar - lots going on here. On the palate it was terribly awkward at first - a powerful, robust and flavourful wine featuring dense tannins, good fruit and acidity, but it took four hours in the decanter to settle down and come together - but when it did, WOW. This is a wine that has the stuffing to go the distance - very sorry I opened it so young.
cork. 14.5% alcohol
Score: 18/20
Price: ~C$80 (LCBO)

PS: despite its youth, this wine was a winner at a group tasting nearly four years ago. At that time I recommended "drink now" but that is clearly wrong - it may work after a long decant, but you really should set this aside.

No comments: