Thursday, March 06, 2008

Twelve Under $12: 2006 Domaine de Tariquet Ugni-blanc Colombard

For my tenth installment in my Twelve Under $12 series I couldn't ignore the cheap and delicious whites from France's VdP Cotes de Gascogne appellation. Marcus, Neil and I have all sung the praises of the whites from France's VdP Cotes de Gascogne, as have many others. Wandering through the cheapies on my last trip to the SAQ I found a producer I had not tasted before. This 2006 Domaine de Tariquet is made from the ugni blanc and colombard grapes. A tropical bouquet of melon, mango and lemon rind...did I smell coconut? Despite the tropical theme it was crisp and focused, yet quite flavourful at the same time. Another hit, it remained remarkably good over a few nights.
cork. 10.5% alcohol
Score: 15/20
Price: C$11.40 (SAQ)

PS - Dr. Vino reviews the wines of Domaine de Tariquet here...

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Solid review -- sounds like this should be your house white wine.

Joe said...

Thanks Marcus, although I would have to go back and retaste a few more VdP Cotes de Gascogne to see if this was the best, or just the "most recent best". Regardless, will buy this again - let me know if you try it...Enjoying the snow?