Saturday, July 14, 2007

2005 Hugel Gentil

While I drink Alsace whites quite frequently, they are such a go-to white wine for me that I often forget to take notes. This Hugel is one example of that - always around the house, rarely blogged.

The 2005 Hugel Gentil is a blend of five Alsatian grape varieties: gewurztraminer, tokay pinot gris, riesling, muscat et sylvaner. Straw yellow in colour, with lemon, apple, green melon and white flowers on the nose. Light bodied and woodsy on the palate, with fresh acidity and very nice balance. Perhaps a bit too light for a veal in a light mushroom sauce, but still very nice.
12.5% alcohol
Score: 15/20
Price: C$15.95 (SAQ)

I have not (yet) written a Great Values piece on Alsace, but I certainly think this wine (and the entire stable of Hugel's entry-level wines) would qualify - inexpensive, and consistently well made from vintage to vintage.

No comments: