Sunday, April 01, 2007

2003 Trimbach Riesling Reserve

Alsace whites are amongst my favourite wines, and certainly my favourite white wines. The price-to-quality can be exceptional, and these wines pair very well with food. As a bonus, the labels are easy to understand, and you need only to remember a few good houses - Trimabach, Hugel, and Pierre Sparr jump to mind.

The 2003 Trimbach Riesling Reserve is (or was) a great wine. Pale gold in colour, with a complexity on the nose I rarely encounter in a white - trademark petrol scents are followed by lemon/lime, green apple, white flowers and freshly cut grass. Enchanting! On the palate this dry Riesling was very well balanced with nice acidity and effervescence in the mouth. A great match for sausages, this could pair well with some simple seafood dishes as well. One of my favourite whites, I will hunt you down! 12.5% alcohol
Score: 16.5/20
Cost: C$23 (SAQ)

No comments: